Carver Scholars Program
The Carver Center has successfully launched a new program: The Carver Scholars. This new initiative is a subdivision of our traditional Teen Center and is designed to provide motivated, driven teens with a heightened level of guidance, instruction, and exposure to information and opportunities. Our goal is to help our scholars develop the skills, habits, and knowledge they will need to navigate life through high school and into future careers.
As we enter the second year of this program, we are excited to introduce an application process to make the program available to teens outside of our current programming!
Please see the attached application Applications were due on May 31st.
Our Scholars program is focused on four pillars, or areas for development: Personal Growth and Life Skills, Academic Support and Career Preparation, Leadership and Community Service, and Enrichment and Awareness. The program is a year-long commitment that will help provide the support teens need throughout the entire school year. Features of the Carver Scholars Program include:
- • Mentorship: Bi-Weekly one-to-one meetings with a Scholar Coach focused on goal setting, self-monitoring, and troubleshooting challenges along the way
- • Academic Assistance: Study Hall Hours for tutoring and completing homework with assistance
- • Volunteering Opportunities: Giving back to others is a great way to develop leadership skills
- • Engaging Workshops covering a wide range of topics, from cooking to tips for essay writing
- • Guest Speakers: Scholars will have opportunities to learn from professionals in a variety of fields
- • Enrichment Outings and Field Trips: All scholars will have opportunities to visit colleges, as well attend trips that broaden their horizons
With the assistance of a Scholar Coach, all scholars will have flexibility when creating their individual schedules that best match their personal interests and allow for other obligations. These include:
- Bi-weekly meetings with Scholar Coach
- Participation in 1 Leadership Club (Nia Young Women’s Leadership Group, Unity Young Men’s Leadership Group, Events & Fundraising Committee, or Young Entrepreneurs)
- Required community service
- Required Enrichment and Academic Workshops
Future Information Sessions
will take place at the
400 Westchester Ave. Port Chester